Mergers and acquisitions can unlock the door to expanding into new markets, ‘jump-start’ growth or simply create efficiency savings. Successfully completed they can help organisations become more efficient, profitable and powerful. But realising the value of a transaction is typically easier said than done. According to the authors of the HBR article "The Big Idea: The New M&A Playbook":
Study after study puts the failure rate of mergers and acquisitions somewhere between 70% and 90%
To avoid becoming yet another statistic, a strong leadership team, guided by HR must keep their focus on value creation, ensuring they retain key personnel and successfully enable the two cultures to work in unison whilst you work to emerge as your new entity.
We work with organisations to ensure they look beyond the financials of the deal and remember the human element, where success or failure ultimately hinges.
We support our clients during M&As by:
- Nurturing employee ownership: recognising and involving employees as part of the process and creating 'buy-in' from the outset
- Creating a unified culture with a clear and compelling vision: establishing values, an identity and common sense of purpose that can be translated into your reward strategy
- Organisational design: allowing you at a glance to view your structure, areas of weakness and saturation
- Retain talent: proactively manage your talent pool, identify risks, establish clear pay and career pathways and engagement through compelling communications
- Recognition and reward: create a winning employee value proposition; harmonise benefits, compensation and union contracts where applicable to inspire, engage and motivate your employees